From: Alin Nastac <mrness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] confusing ppp/rp-pppoe setup
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 07:17:45
1 Sven Köhler wrote:
2
3 >at the moment, /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.2/rp-pppoe.so is installed by
4 >net-dialup/ppp - nothing special - well, it's not a very recent version.
5 >In the syslog it says:
6 >
7 >RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.3 compiled against pppd 2.4.2
8 >
9 >On the other hand, i've got net-dialup/rp-pppoe-3.8 installed and it
10 >installs a symlink:
11 >
12 >/etc/ppp/plugins/rp-pppoe.so -> /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.2/rp-pppoe.so
13 >
14 >Is this symlink needed? And why is it installed by rp-pppoe?
15 >(And is the /etc/ppp/plugins dir needed at all? What do plugins do in
16 >/etc/ppp/plugins? Don't they belong to /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.2/ ?)
19 That is the place where pppoe-server search for the plugin.
20 Btw, the PPPoE server is the only useful part of net-dialup/rp-pppoe
21 from Gentoo pov, the client part being surclassed by the generic pppd.sh
22 net module available in baselayout-1.12*.
25 >Well, yet another question:
26 >ppp-2.4.2 now includes the rp-pppoe.so plugins from rp-pppoe - do the
27 >ppp-people maintain that module by themselfs now? Or do they just
28 >download the plugin from the rp-pppoe-people and include it in their
29 >sources? I can imagine a ppp-ebuild that downloads a more recent version
30 >of rp-pppoe and builds the rp-pppoe.so-plugins directly from the
31 >rp-pppoe sources instead of using the ppp-sources.
34 rp-pppoe plugin had been within ppp tarball for quite some time (see for
35 how long from upstream cvsweb at
36 http://cvs.samba.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ppp/pppd/plugins/rp-pppoe/).
37 It has been contributed by RoaringPenguin but from that day on, it has
38 been maintained by Paul MacKerras (the ppp upstream).
39 Maybe is just me, but I consider ppp to be the upstream when it comes to
40 rp-pppoe pppd's plugin. I don't care that 3.3 < 3.8 since the actual
41 rp-pppoe plugin is a modified version of the one original.
42 Unless someone finds a bug or a new feature that needs to be implemented
43 in rp-pppoe plugin (which I very much doubt it), I will change nothing
44 (and even then, I will prefer to patch the ppp sources).