From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How to add a service to /etc/services?
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 17:21:50
1 On Sunday 07 October 2007, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > I've found the following interesting piece of code in src_install
3 > of both app-emacs/lookup and net-misc/ndptd:
4 >
5 > if ! $(grep 2010/tcp /etc/services >/dev/null 2>&1) ; then
6 > cp /etc/services ${T}/services
7 > cat >>${T}/services<<-EOF
8 > ndtp 2010/tcp # Network Dictionary Transfer Protocol
9 > EOF
10 > insinto /etc
11 > doins ${T}/services
12 > fi
13
14 these packages need to get shot in the head ... those will cause package
15 collisions
16
17 > Which leads me to the question: What is the recommended way to add a
18 > service to /etc/services?
19
20 have the port properly registered with IANA and then baselayout will integrate
21 the updates
22
23 > And shouldn't "getent" (or even "egetent")
24 > be used to determine if it already exists?
25
26 no, because that implies it's ok having anything other than baselayout or the
27 user modify the file
28 -mike