From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE needs your help
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 22:34:09
1 070315 Caleb Tennis wrote:
2 > The KDE team is still grossly understaffed.
3 > Bugs are piling up, patches are waiting and package versions need bumped.
4 > I simply don't have the time to keep up with it anymore.
5 > I've been doing this for over 4 years now
6 > and my interests have shifted to other things.
7
8 Certainly, a big thanks for your volunteer work.
9
10 > If you are a user who wants to help, becoming active in the forums
11
12 I find the forums rather juvenile with a high noise/signal ratio.
13
14 > and with open bugs reports is a good way to get yourself noticed.
15
16 Could you give a bit more detail of the kind of help
17 a user might offer with bug reports (apart from making them: smile) ?
18
19 > I would hate to see Gentoo dropping KDE all together
20 > because nobody has the time to maintain it.
21
22 KDE is very well-maintained upstream
23 & I've been using 3.5.6 since 070217 without any problems,
24 so perhaps there needs to be a clearer sense of priorities
25 for handling whatever bugs etc people are reporting.
26
27 Dropping KDE would be catastrophic for Gentoo:
28 I would probably go elsewhere, tho' very reluctantly.
29 I could install it in /usr/local ,
30 but I doubt if that would be adequate for long.
34 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
35 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
36 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
37 --
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list