From: "Noack
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: AW: [gentoo-dev] Beta versions should be slotable
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 14:47:58
1 > > I like to try bleeding edge beta versions. But I hate that if I will
2 > > install for example the new firefox 2 beta via portage, it will
3 unmerge
4 > > the current stable version. I would prefer to have a stable version
5 for
6 > > daily work and the beta version for testing purposes at the same
7 time on
8 > > my system. Therefore I would propose to introduce a policy, which
9 forces
10 > > each ebuild with the suffix _alpha, _beta or _pre have to be
11 slotable.
14 > > Best Regards
15 > > Sebastian Noack
16 > >
17 > Not feasable. You have 2 possible ways of doing it though. one is to
18 > use a chroot to test these things, and the other is to take a quickpkg
19 > of the stable version and emerge -k when you're done testing the
20 > bleeding edge stuff.
21
22 The first possibility is crap, because of I would need another entire
23 Gentoo system on my machine which I can chroot into and did you ever
24 tried to get X run out of a chroot environment? Well, it is possible but
25 it needs a lot of work to have a complete redundant functional chroot
26 test environment on your system. Than I would rather prefer to compile
27 the corresponding package by my self and pass
28 --prefix=/usr/bleeding_edge/ to the configure script.
29
30 And the second possibility you mentioned is also an ugly solution,
31 because of I would have to rollback the stable version by quickpkg every
32 time after testing the beta and vice versa.
33
34 Regards
35 Sebastian Noack
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list