From: MooktaKiNG <Mooktakim@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Readme files for portage (was: A nice idea to improve portage)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:34:32
1 Another good reason to have a README is becuase sometimes people
2 want to know more about a program. Without having to install it.
3
4 If they can learn about the program before they install. They are
5 more aware of how hard/easy the installtion is.
6
7 Or when your trying to help someone. You don't know what that
8 program does. You read the README. Then you get someidea. Now your
9 in a much better position to help then before.
13 > I think it's a greÁt idea. Unfortunately most discussion till now
14 > was around outputing
15 > the the info to some log and so on. However the suggestion (which I
16 > was going to
17 > make anyway) is much broader. The only pease of information portage
18 > helds about
19 > every package is a short description line.
20 >
21 > That's ok, if you know what the package does. Know imagine a
22 > situation when you
23 > do emerge --pretend something and you get a list packages, some of
24 > which you have
25 > no idea about. It would be very useful if you could read a readme
26 > file for them to see
27 > what they are actually doing.
28 >
29 > Having a readme would also be very useful in many other cases, when
30 > you want to get
31 > some info on the package, without going to their web site.
32 >
33 > On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 16:40:12 +0100 (BST)