From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Changes in installed ebuilds
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 19:26:54
1 Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 2014-06-23 at 22:15 +0200, Jörg Schaible wrote:
4 >> So, why the heck, was the dependency to dev-libs/glib changed for an
5 >> existing ebuild without increasing its version (e.g.
6 >> dbus-glib-0.100.2-r2)?
7 >
8 > Please see http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/91615
9
10 These blocks had nothing to do with the multilibs ABI. It has been just the
11 updated versions for the dependencies.
12
13 >> I have to use an older Eclipse 3.8.x version for my daily work and since
14 >> it is broken with latest gtk versions (a lot of crashes), I use still
15 >> some old ebuilds and have masked new ones.
16 >
17 > Please file a bug report about this. If nobody tells us that a new gtk+
18 > version broke something important, we will soon mark the new version as
19 > stable and then remove the old version.
20
21 I report anything, if it is worth it. However, in this case the problem is
22 on Eclipse's side and fixed in newer versions. Alas, it does not help me,
23 because I have to use that old version for my daily work. So, there's no
24 blame on Gentoo and nothing the devs should have to waste their time.
25
26 Therefore I still use the once stable versions of GTK (~5 months old now),
27 where this old version of Eclipse runs, i.e. I already preserved some older
28 versions locally that are already vanished from the portage tree. The newer
29 ones are hard masked.
30
31 However, if some of my currently installed stable packages suddenly require
32 newer versions, my portage tree gets in serious trouble. Nothing would have
33 happen if the revision number of the affected packages had been simply
34 increased.
35
36 Cheers,
37 Jörg