From: Travis Tilley <lv@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ebuild bumping policy wrt KEYWORDS
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:10:24
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:30:11 +0200 Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | On Thursday 26 August 2004 17:04, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > | > Personally I prefer my original wording:
6 > | > > Arch teams: when moving from ~arch to arch on an actively
7 > | > > maintained package where you're going ahead of the maintainer's
8 > | > > arch, it's best to consult first. You don't necessarily have to
9 > | > > follow the maintainer's advice, but at least listen to what they
10 > | > > have to say.
11 > |
12 > | The problem is still the same: Other arch maintainers can't know,
13 > | which arch is the package maintainers arch. I would always deny or
14 > | mask it stable on my arch as well, if I had no objections.
15 >
16 > *sigh* x86 having broken stable gnome for two weeks and not realising
17 > it (whilst other archs who went ahead of x86 had it working) just goes
18 > to show that this is not always the case.
19
20 i refrained from doing the i-told-you-so when that happened, but i just
21 cant help it now. i told you so! (though it's still in really really
22 really bad taste)
23 i just found it ironic that it was someone from the gnome team who was
24 arguing for never marking packages stable last the maintainer's arch,
25 and gnome was broken on it's maintainer's arch for so long. for amd64,
26 nobody complained about epiphany being broken.
27
28 ...and this example is one of the mostly arch generic ones where it
29 would usually not make sense to go too far ahead of the maintainer on a
30 regular basis.
33 Travis Tilley <lv@g.o>
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list