From: Gontran <gontran@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] rc5_r0 no kernel merged?
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 15:47:38
1 Dear Gentooise,
2
3 Installed today from original rc5 iso, things went smoothly by following
4 the first revision of the rc5 install docs provided on this list
5 and adding a dash of the current rc5_r3 docs online.
6
7 One thing I noticed, which seems rather impossible, but did happen was that
8 after successfully running 'emerge --usepkgs system' no linux kernel seems
9 to have been installed.
10
11 I didn't believe it myself, but neither /boot nor /boot/boot had any thing
12 like a kernel in it. I discovered this while looking for /lib/modules to
13 find a module for my 3com pcmcia NIC. My solution was to emerge the
14 linux-sources and build and install (thx achim on #gentoo).
15
16 Also when installing grub, after building and installing custom kernel, I
17 needed to copy the grub dir and my new kernel from /boot/boot/ to /boot for
18 the grub program to find them and install to the MBR properly. I'm new to
19 running GRUB, so this may just be a misunderstanding on my part.
20
21 Lastly, I needed linux-extras emerged to get pcmcia-cs related goodies. This
22 would be nice to see in the install guide (unless I missed it). Also I second
23 any re-addition of the specific 'mkreiserfs /dev/hXX' instructions mentioned
24 in an earlier thread.
25
26 Having tried both rc4 install and rc5, rc5 is light years ahead of rc4.
27 By that analogy: rc5 has been delivered at a rate faster than the speed of
28 light!
29
30 Cheers,
31 Gontran