From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Cc: wmertens@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] IPv6 support in network initscripts
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 19:43:48
1 > > there's something which occurs to me -- in /etc/rc.conf there is a way to specify which protocols you allow. Do our net scripts already have ipv6 support, I wonder? or is that stuff in rc.conf for some other purpose?
2 > >
3 > I've never seen anything which actually sources rc.conf and uses the
4 > PROTOCOL variable in any way. I have no idea why that's there. anybody
5 > enlighten me?
8 Right. It got missing/never implemented somewhere.
11 The point is that things are inefficient in current state. There
12 has been a lot of talk, and a lot of ideas in the past, but nobody
13 ever came through.
14
15 I can do the logic, but I am not a network guru, or have the
16 hardware/resources to add support for every kind of network option
17 out there. And besides ... what happened to clear cut so that
18 the user could hack in whatever he wanted with ease ... but I
19 guess we are too far down this road to look back now 8)
20
21 Anyhow, an idea that has been floating around, is to still have
22 only a net.<device>, but protocols/routing/whatever is supported
23 via modules. Meaning, if you want only ipv4, you just say in the
24 config that net.eth0 should support ipv4. Same with dhcp/ipv6/whatever.
25
26 The problem is however, we need a clearcut design, need to decide how
27 to handle failures, etc - rewriting it every 6 months should not
28 be an option, so we should get the design right from day one.
29
30 Anyhow, just me rambling.
33 Regards,
37 Martin Schlemmer
38 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
39 Cape Town, South Africa