From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stabilization of Python 3.1
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 18:22:51
1 Hi!
2
3 Aside from the remarks made by others (and speaking as someone
4 who maintains Python software), there is one reason for me to not
5 switch Python 3 to stable yet: lack of compatibility. Software
6 that runs with 3.x will not run with any 2.x version as of today
7 (and I doubt there will ever be a 2.x version of Python that can
8 run 3.x code).
9
10 As such, upstream devs will have to maintain two branches of
11 software for a rather long time. Thing is, some projects just
12 don't have the manpower to maintain two branches, so they will
13 stay with 2.x versions for now. Yes, it's a catch-22, but I doubt
14 that a sufficiently large portion of projects will have a
15 3.x-compatible branch/version this year (sufficient meaning
16 over 95%).
17
18 On the other hand, we can patch everything that doesn't run with
19 3.x (i.e. "fixing" the shebang lines and maybe assorted paths).
20 The Python team is more suited to evaluate the feasibility of
21 that.
22
23 Regards,
24 Tobias
25
26 PS: As an illustration: just look at how long it took to get a
27 2.6-compatible version of mailman into the tree...