From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 00:18:43
1 On Monday 02 February 2004 3:17 pm, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > All --
3 >
4 > I've posted GLEP 19 which talks about the inclusion of a new 'stable' tree
5 > in portage that is updated on a periodic basis and only contains security
6 > and major bugfixes out of cycle.
7 >
8 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0019.html
9 >
10 > Please take a moment to review the GLEP and offer any feedback or ask any
11 > questions.
12 >
13 > --kurt
14
15 Hi Kurt,
16
17 First off, it's great that someone's finally done something about this.
18 People have been talking about stable / unstable trees since before I first
19 joined the project, with nothing actually done to implement it.
20
21 The main suggestion I have is to drop the word 'stable'. It's an imprecise
22 term that means different things to different people. For example, should an
23 ebuild be marked stable because it works, or because the package itself
24 works? It doesn't matter what the official policy is - you'll always have a
25 gray area with the word 'stable'.
26
27 If you want an 'enterprise'-grade tree, why not call it precisely that? ;-)
28 Heh - then we can get a 'carrier'-grade tree too (yes, they really do call it
29 that ;-) ;-)
30
31 How are you going to manage whether something gets into your enterprise tree
32 or not? I spent part of Saturday night fixing up mod_php ebuilds which
33 someone had marked stable on an arch that was missing dependencies. It's
34 just one example of the trouble we have getting people to use repoman. With
35 the current tree - and expectations - these things don't matter that much.
36 But for 'enterprise' level quality and higher ...
37
38 Best regards,
39 Stu
40 --
41 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
42 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
43 Beta packages for download http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/packages/
44 Come and meet me in March 2004 http://www.phparch.com/cruise/
45
46 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
47 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C