From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: metadata.xml un<herd/>-ization, v2
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 16:45:41
1 On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 1:23 AM, Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > This would be by far the easiest solution. Some herds already have an
4 > alias like this eg. freedesktop -> freedesktop-bugs. Much easier than
5 > mass-editing every single metadata.xml with what amounts to a cosmetic
6 > change.
9 I think we're not all on the same page about what we're trying to
10 accomplish. I think we need to agree on that before we can really
11 agree on how to do it.
12
13 There are many goals here that I can see:
14 1. Simplification of the xml schema so that we don't have so many
15 different kinds of tags with different rules for each.
16 2. Simplification of how we track group (ie project/herd/alias/etc)
17 member lists so that they're not in 5 different places with 5
18 different ways of determining who is in a group.
19 3. Avoiding having large groups of packages maintained by large
20 groups of devs where the reality is that many packages aren't
21 maintained by anybody but this is opaque.
22 4. If not all of the emails associated with metadata are considered
23 true maintainers, making it easy to tell which ones are and aren't.
24
25 I don't think all of these have equal support, which is why we end up
26 debating different solutions (obviously a solution which addresses all
27 of these is going to be more intrusive than a solution that only
28 addresses some of these).
29
30 I've been a proponent of solving all of these, but perhaps it would
31 make more sense to start smaller than that. The only catch is that if
32 we remove the distinction in metadata between
33 maintainers/proxies/projects/herds/etc then if that distinction
34 becomes more important in the future it becomes harder to tell which
35 ones are which.
36
37 Part of me is wondering if worrying about #3-4 is actually all that
38 productive. Does it really matter if a package is maintained or not,
39 when it all comes down to it? Does it make more sense to focus on
40 whether packages have serious problems? Maybe if a package is
41 completely unmaintained it makes it easier for developers to drop in
42 and make changes without asking anybody about it first, versus logging
43 a bug, waiting for the maintainer to drop the ball, and then making
44 the change anyway.
47 Rich