From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The fallacies of GLEP55
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 16:16:00
1 Hi!
2
3 On Sat, 16 May 2009, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o> wrote:
5 > > > Yes, those. The current rules include some pointless arbitrary
6 > > > restrictions that are only there for historical reasons and that
7 > > > mean people have to mess with convoluted MY_PV things.
8 > >
9 > > Still: a sane spec for those plus a sane spec for inside-the-file
10 > > EAPI specs can be done with/during *one* extension change.
11 >
12 > GLEP 55's just one extension change: it moves from .ebuild
13 > to .ebuild-EAPI.
14
15 So we're not talking about .ebuild-2 for EAPI=2, .ebuild-3 for
16 EAPI=3 etc? That would just be silly and it was the first idea I
17 got when I saw the proposal.
18
19 Also, I think there might be better options for the new
20 extensions (.gbuild?, just a random idea).
21
22 Aside from that, one idea that came to me recently was to specify
23 per tree what kind of files (version-format-wise, EAPI
24 elsewhere[0]) a PM has to expect. Tree distributors (Gentoo
25 itself, other similar distros, overlays... ) would be Providing
26 that information along a similar route as profiles/repo_name.
27 This would also reduce the amount of mixing and matching version
28 formats (something undesirable, if you ask me). It would also
29 make it easier to take a look at historical (snapshots of)
30 repositories.
31
32 [0] I see EAPI specification and version-format spec as separate
33 issues.
34
35 > > Any further features that mandate a change in filename format?
36 > > Pile them on.
37 >
38 > There probably will be, and we don't know what they all are yet.
39 > Unfortunately we can't see the future.
40
41 I meant further as in "not discussed yet".
42
43 Regards,
44 Tobias
45 --
46 Found on a small utility knife in MIT's lab supply:
47 "Caution. Blade is sharp. Keep out of children."