From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Services and software which is critical for Gentoo should be developed/run in Gentoo namespace
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 08:17:19
1 On Mon, 14 Sep 2020 10:15:31 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > It might be easier to take smaller steps, such as having a policy that
5 > "any call for devs to use/test a new tool/service, or any service that
6 > automatically performs transactions on bugzilla, must be FOSS, and the
7 > link to the source must be included in the initial communication, and
8 > it must be clear what version of the code is operating at any time."
9 > That is a pretty low barrier to those creating tools, though it
10 > doesn't address the infra concern. However, it does mean that infra
11 > is now free to fork the service at any time, and reduces the bus
12 > factor greatly.
13
14 For the situation of things that take life before being part of infra,
15 I think the least we can do is recognize their utility and importance,
16 and at least, have infra *offer* some sort of shared location to run a
17 deployment.
18
19 That I think helps everyone, gives people a place to remove their own
20 bus factor, but without mandatory strongarming.