From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 16:36:52
1 On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 12:02 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 15:59:58 +0000 (UTC)
4 > Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
5 >> > And what if the match for :=3D is
6 >> > incompatible with new dependency atom? Like when you replace
7 >> > 'dev-foo/bar:=3D' with '>=3Ddev-foo/bar-2:=3D' but bar-1 is
8 >> > installed.
9 >>
10 >> This is simple: The dependency is not satisfied.
11 >
12 > That isn't simple at all... It means you can't uninstall or upgrade the
13 > package...
14
15 Why not?
16
17 How is this any different from unmerging bar-1 back when bar-1
18 satisfied the dependency (using --unmerge which breaks reverse
19 dependencies)?
20
21 If you want to upgrade or re-install the package I would expect
22 portage to pull in the missing dependency. I'd expect the next emerge
23 -u world to do that as well, which it already does if you --unmerge a
24 dependency).
25
26 If there would be some unintended side-effect from doing things this
27 way I'm all ears, but as long as you don't get into @system circular
28 dependencies issues I'd expect portage to be able to install any
29 packages that are missing after such a dependency change.
30
31 Sure, until the missing dep is installed I'd expect a risk of
32 breakage, but that is no different than what I'd expect if the package
33 were modified without a bump and the package manager didn't attempt to
34 support dynamic dependencies.
35
36 Rich