From: "John R. Graham" <n3440d@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] EAPI-1 (or >1, perhaps) Proposal: AND Dependencies
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 00:30:35
1 I occasionally run across a package version dependency issue that cannot
2 be elegantly solved by the current dependency syntax. Every time I've
3 come across this, it's boiled down to a range. For example, package
4 some-cat/foo has the following versions in the tree
5 some-cat/foo-4.0.0-r2
6 some-cat/foo-4.1
7 some-cat/foo-4.1.1
8 some-cat/foo-4.1.2-r2
9 some-cat/foo-4.2.1-r5
10 some-cat/foo-4.3
11 some-cat/foo-4.4
12
13 Now, package other-cat/bar has a runtime dependency on some-cat/foo but
14 it only works with the 4.1 and 4.2 slot. The other-cat/bar ebuild was
15 originally composed before the some-cat/foo-4.3 package came out, so the
16 ebuild developer coded the runtime dependency as
17 >=some-cat/foo-4.1
18
19 But, when some-cat/foo-4.3 came along, it got messy. The only possible
20 solution today that I know of is
21 ( || =some-cat/foo-4.1* =some-cat/foo-4.2* )
22 and this potentially grows over time as new versions stabilize.
23
24 What I'd really like to be able to code is a range with an AND operator,
25 something like this
26 ( && >=some-cat/foo-4.0 <some-cat/foo-4.3 )
27
28 So, my question is, does this make sense? Is something like this
29 planned for some EAPI>0? Would it be appropriate for me (a non-dev) to
30 file a bug and link it to SpanKy's "EAPI-1 tracker" bug?
33 Thanks in advance.
34
35 - John
36 --