From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: new "qt" category
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 16:49:11
1 Ben de Groot posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 22:14:48 +0800 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 19 January 2013 21:46, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Maybe lib-qt ? dev-qt sounds confusing to me too, what's "dev" about
5 >> it?
6 >
7 > These are libraries and applications that are used by developers of
8 > end-user applications.
9 >
10 > If there is too much opposition to a simple "qt" category (at least
11 > there seems to be some quite vocal opposition), then dev-qt is in my
12 > eyes the next best alternative. A third option we came up with is
13 > qt-framework.
14 >
15 > Somewhat comparable categories in the current tree are dev-dotnet and
16 > gnustep-{base,libs}.
17
18 Despite my interest (kde user), I've stayed out of this until now, as I
19 figured there were enough others commenting and I didn't have anything
20 different to say, but...
21
22 * In general, yes, I'm in favor of a dedicated qt-* category, but...
23
24 *** (VERY strongly!) Please avoid namespace pollution! Don't drop the
25 hyphenated qt-pkg names. As a user, most of the time I DO only refer to
26 the package name, and dropping the qt- from qt-core, qt-gui, etc, is WAYYY
27 too generic to be practical. I for one would be cursing the generic
28 names every time I had to deal with the package. (Tho it's a kde
29 upstream issue, the same applies to "the application formerly known as
30 kcontrol", now the impossibly generic system-settings, and the former
31 ksysguard, now generically system-monitor. Anyone active on the kde
32 general or kde linux lists knows I simply refuse to use the generic
33 names.)
34
35 * (Less strongly.) Please keep the hyphenated category name scheme as
36 well.
37
38 * dev-qt seems appropriate.
39
40 * qt-base would work too.
41
42 * qt-libs or lib-qt, not so much, because there's executables as well.
43
44 * x11-qt not so much, as qt5 is no longer x11 limited. Additionally, x11/
45 xorg will arguably start losing its dominance to wayland in the qt5
46 timeframe, with qt5 even now having (preliminary?) wayland support I
47 believe, and at some point, x11-qt may well look rather quaint and
48 anachronistic, sort of like references to ip-chains or xfree86 do today.
49
50 So my vote would be for dev-qt/qt-*. Yes, that's a doubled qt reference
51 with the category, but in practice, few use the category name unless they
52 have to anyway, and it sure beats the namespace polluting alternative!
57 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman