From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-project] Portage repo usage survey and change evaluation
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2016 20:43:37
1 On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 2:48 PM, malc <mlashley@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I still fail to understand the bikeshedding here - you really don't
3 > need a git checkout to get something akin to a changelog. Use the
4 > github API directly...
7 The main downside to using github would be that you don't get a
8 combined history pre/post-migration, but it certainly works. Github
9 doesn't work with git replace. I'm not sure if anongit does or if it
10 has a useful API like this. I think you can push git replace
11 references, but whether the web viewer ignores them or not is another
12 matter. They aren't cloned by default I believe (which makes sense
13 since they're references - an explicit fetch does work).
14
15 Somebody could create one big combined repo without using git replace,
16 but the hashes won't match and that sounds like a recipe for mass
17 confusion. You couldn't directly sync it via pull/push either, since
18 the hashes will never match.
21 Rich