From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: What do you think about removing gtk-1.2 theme engines from tree?
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 15:20:59
1 On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:08:34 +0100
2 Andrej Kacian <ticho@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Because it's much more convenient to just go "emerge theme" instead of
5 > googling up the upstream website, finding the link to download,
6 > download it, unpack and figure out how to install.
7
8 I don't know about that. One reason Opera themes will probably never be
9 in any tree is because installing them means you go to
10 http://my.opera.com/, you click on a pretty picture of a theme and then
11 click Yes when asked if you want to keep the theme, by which time
12 the web browser has already morphed into that skin. All Opera does is
13 drop a .zip file somewhere in $HOME/.opera/ , the contents of that file
14 being subject to certain standards. This is definitely not rocket
15 science.
16
17 So if you want $WM to provide an easy way to install a theme you pick
18 from a website, just fix $WM and send the patches $UPSTREAM. I tried
19 with KDE. The reference "Get new themes" to http://www.kde-look.org/
20 from the Control Center is pretty lame, indeed. _Apparently_ KDE has no
21 standard for theme packages because I see installation instructions on
22 the pages describing themes.
23
24 > It's the same reason we use emerge for installing packages instead of
25 > using LFS.
26
27 Depends on where the theme files (need to) go. If $HOME were not good
28 enough, I can imagine there is a desire to provide a generic ebuild to
29 which any particular theme package could be attached. I think this
30 would be useful for purposes like corporate branding but then again,
31 these ebuilds are not difficult to write or put in an overlay.
32
33 If all $WMs' $UPSTREAM would _simply_ standardise theme packages, there
34 would be no need for separate theme packages in the portage tree.
35 All we are achieving right now is doing (part of) $UPSTREAM's
36 work for them in the portage tree (in a non-standard way) instead of
37 helping standardise their software in the first place.
40 Kind regards,
41 JeR
42 --
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list