From: Thomas Cort <tcort@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proxy-dev (an alternative to sunrise?)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 02:59:02
1 On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 22:19:14 -0400
2 Luis Francisco Araujo <araujo@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > The users explicitly compromise to (just to make it clear): [1,2,3,4]
5
6 People who participate in open projects like Gentoo come and go. What
7 happens if/when the proxy maintainer decides to leave? Who will take
8 care of the package? Maybe the mailing list could also be used to find
9 users to proxy maintain abandoned packages?
10
11 > I know there already exist some developers working as proxy, well, i
12 > appreciate if they got any comment or observation about this idea. This
13 > is just a way of giving some organization to this kind of cooperative
14 > mechanism at some degree. And an 'official' representation inside Gentoo
15 > if we agree with it.
16
17 I work with a user (Kai Huuhko) to maintain media-sound/quodlibet,
18 media-libs/mutagen, and media-plugins/quodlibet-*. I have a dev overlay
19 on overlays.gentoo.org where Kai and I both have commit access. We both
20 work on the ebuilds in the overylay and exchange ideas over e-mail.
21 After the ebuilds are complete and tested, I commit them to the official
22 tree. Kia helps with bugs too. So far it has worked very well for us
23 and we haven't had any problems with the arrangement. Having a helper
24 saves me time and energy, which allows me do other Gentoo related tasks.
25
26 -Thomas