From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Using emerge-webrsync to simplify the handbook
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 20:42:34
1 On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 10:44:31AM -0500, Richard Yao wrote:
2 > On 11/30/2012 06:46 AM, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
3 > > On Nov 29, 2012 10:24 AM, "Markos Chandras" <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
4 > > > > We could slightly simplify the handbook installation procedure if we
5 > > > > told people to use emerge-webrsync to fetch the initial snapshot. What
6 > > > > do people think?
7 > > >
8 > > > Seems a good improvement to me.
9 > >
10 > > I'm ok with it as well. I'll draft up something. I suspect emerge-webrsync
11 > > is available on all platforms?
12 >
13 > It is part of sys-apps/portage.
14
15 Okay, I've updated the instructions.
16
17 First, I removed the references to the stage3 snapshots on the "Universal
18 CD" as I don't think we have a (recent enough) Universal CD, and we would
19 recommend the stage3 files from our mirrors anyway.
20
21 Second, the Portage tree snapshots are now installed through emerge-webrsync
22 (which means the entire section on downloading the tarballs, checking
23 integrity, extracting is now a single paragraph).
24
25 Finally, the section on updating the Portage tree (using emerge --sync) is
26 now marked as optional, with the remark that if you're behind a firewall you
27 can safely ignore this section as the user will already have a quite
28 up-to-date tree installed.
29
30 I don't know if we should remove the section altogether (about emerge
31 --sync) or not. It is a small step and users *will* create bug reports about
32 it if they don't notice it in the documentation anymore. Marking it optional
33 seems to be a good approach here.
34
35 Wkr,
36 Sven Vermeulen
37
38 PS Commit was made a few minutes ago, so please give it an hour before it
39 shows up on the site.