From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: chutzpah@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage QOS
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 02:41:19
1 On Thu, 9 Jan 2014 17:52:16 -0800
2 Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 02:19:03 +0100
5 > Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Or rather: "What does it take to migrate parts of pkgcore into
8 > > portage?"
9 >
10 > Why not just switch to using pkgcore as the default package manager.
11
12 Has anyone switched to pkgcore already?
13
14 It needs to work well and be wide tested before it can become a default.
15
16 > radhermit has been doing a lot of work lately getting EAPI 5 support
17 > added, and generally fixing bugs etc.
18
19 Are we there yet?
20
21 The thing about pkgcore is that it is perceived as running behind; and
22 with the lack of interest in it due to that, it seems that having it
23 will take some time before it lifts off the ground. Don't get me wrong,
24 it eventually will if we pursue it; but, when? It can take time.
25
26 > Since we no longer have anyone intimately familiar with the
27 > portage code, we should just switch to a more modern and readable
28 > system.
29
30 Agreed, but we also should keep Portage alive and kicking until then.
31
32 > Rather than having random people trying to learn the
33 > convoluted portage code, let's concentrate on getting pkgcore to a
34 > point where we can replace portage with it.
35
36 Either way, people need to learn something; and if we can't guarantee
37 the short term future of Portage before pkgcore becomes usable, the
38 long term future could rather be out of reach before you know it.
39
40 In the short term we should focus on Portage, but in the long term we
41 should indeed look at one or another replacement; and indeed does
42 pkgcore soon appear to be the most interesting option here.
43
44 To satisfy QA and Portage teams at the same time; I'm going to start
45 digging into repoman soon as there are 80+ bugs open for it, so in the
46 short term (days / weeks), I have no plans for pkgcore myself.
47
48 From there on I plan to do a software re-engineering style inspection on
49 the Portage base to learn and understand its convoluted structure; at
50 that point we can make more educated choices as to which way to go
51 forward, but until then ... let's just fix as much bugs as time permits.
52
53 Don't get me wrong; pkgcore is great, but it takes time for attention
54 to shift to it as Portage's slowly runs into more legacy code problems.
57 With kind regards,
58
59 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
60 Gentoo Developer
61
62 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
63 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
64 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D