From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gmt@×××××.us
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: crossdev and multilib interference
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 20:48:04
1 Dnia 2014-06-21, o godz. 03:31:30
2 Greg Turner <gmt@×××××.us> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Thoughts [about wrapping gcc, so that non-native multilib-build ABI's can
6 > finally return to a world where [[ ${GCC} != *' '* ]] ]?
7 >
8 > TLDR: good idea, I'm strongly in favor of it.
9 >
10 > A wrapper would fix horrors like the following, which, last I checked, was
11 > sort-of required* on ABI_X86="*32*" DEFAULT_ABI="amd64" systems with
12 > crossdev i686-pc-linux-gnu targets in ${PATH}:
13 >
14 > [...]
15 >
16 > But, it's not just that cmake can't properly handle a C{C,XX} variables
17 > with spaces in them**. There are a bunch of similar places where we had to
18 > patch Makefiles and autotools to wedge GCC="foo bar" support in.
19
20 I wasn't aware of that.
21
22 I honestly would love if toolchain cooperated with us on bringing this.
23 However, I'm a bit pessimistic about their willing. For one, we'd first
24 have to fix all multilib arches to use different CHOSTs for
25 different ABIs -- and so far, people prefer inventing some custom hacks
26 in the name of keeping status quo.
27
28 As far as multilib builds are concerned, I guess I could create
29 ${T}/bin with proper wrappers. We do similar thing in python-r1 suite
30 already to make sure that all 'python[23]' calls behave correctly. Of
31 course, this will still require fixing CHOSTs and work only for
32 multilib ebuilds. But on the other hand, it would allow us to avoid
33 masking crossdev.
36 Best regards,
37 Michał Górny