From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new global USE flag "srcdist"
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 02:38:39
1 On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 9:19 PM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Is there a real example where the license matters for something
4 > redistributed to yourself?
5
6 Well, "yourself" is a loose term. If I were to redistribute MS
7 Windows across 300 PCs for my employer I suspect some people would
8 have something to say about that. Heck, the RIAA wants you to re-buy
9 music if you want to load a song on an mp3 player that you already own
10 on CD.
11
12 However, for most packages in the tree the issue is going to be how
13 "free" as in whatever you want the package to be. If we're going to
14 have ACCEPT_LICENSE in the first place it seems like this is just a
15 logical extension of it.
16
17 Rich