From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] glep 42 (news) round six
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 16:55:07
1 On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 23:27:32 -0800 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | To head off the "don't make features that are easily screwed up",
4 | this isn't one of them- this is expecting code to behave correctly
5 | from the path standpoint.
6
7 Hrm, so will we be allowing spaces in package and category names too?
8
9 | > I don't want to introduce any signing requirements that we don't
10 | > have already. When signing for everything else becomes mandatory,
11 | > signing for news would be too. If I make this a 'must', someone
12 | > will ask me to specify how we're handling the Gentoo keyring...
13 |
14 | Pawn the keyring off on others. The issues isn't an established
15 | trust ring, it's required signing- yes, a trust ring makes things a
16 | helluva lot easier on the user front, but it's useless without a
17 | required signing policy.
18 |
19 | We've already had this conversation also btw, in the
20 | beginning of glep42 iirc. Obviously I don't agree
21 | with your reasoning "I'll do it when it's required I do it". It's
22 | useful now, it becomes massively more useful when a trust ring is
23 | available.
24
25 Ok, how about I change it to "must", and add a note under Backwards
26 Compatibility along the lines of:
27
28 At the time of writing, there is no standardised mechanism for handling
29 GPG signatures in Gentoo. Until such a mechanism exists, GPG signing
30 cannot be considered mandatory.
31
32 | > | > ``Revision:``
33 | > | > Initially 1. Incremented every time a non-trivial change is
34 | > | > made. Changes which require a re-read of the news item should
35 | > | > instead use a new news item file. Mandatory.
36 | > |
37 | > | non-trivial changes that don't require a re-read sounds like a
38 | > | contradiction. Clarify, especially since portage will mark this
39 | > | as read _once_ and only once.
40 | >
41 | > Hrm, word it as "Changes other than minor formatting tweaks", or
42 | > remove "non-trivial"?
43 |
44 | It's not a wording thing, I'm pointing out sans spelling corrections
45 | and trivial word mangling, any new info jammed in requires a new item
46 | bump so readers can display the changes.
47 |
48 | In light of that, wording above needs correction.
49
50 Ok, how's this?
51
52 ``Revision:``
53 Initially 1. Should be incremented every time a change is made to
54 the news item. Changes that require a re-read of the news item (for
55 example, most changes that are not spelling or formatting related)
56 should instead use a new news item. Mandatory.
57
58 | > | This isn't incredibly useful if ranged versions are ever
59 | > | introduced. Ammending the glep for that seems stupid, looser
60 | > | language might be wise.
61 | >
62 | > What's the syntax for ranged versions? And how do they differ from
63 | > SLOT versions?
64 |
65 | >=kde-base/kde-libs-3.0 <=kde-base/kde-libs-4.0
66 |
67 | It's not syntax as much as a boolean and of atoms.
68
69 Hrm, ok. Wouldn't this resolve as true if you have kde-libs-2.0 and
70 kde-libs-5.0 installed (assuming SLOTted kde-libs)?
71
72 | > Once an hour would work fine. On the other hand, the merge is just
73 | > copying a few small files -- time-wise, it's less than generating
74 | > the cache for a couple of ebuilds.
75 |
76 | More then a couple; this beast will bloat up to hundred or so files
77 | I'd expect (remember translation serves as a multiplier).
78
79 Yup, but it's just a case of copying a few small text files.
80
81 | Any signed item would need to be verified also, although fortunately
82 | this chunk can be done in parallel to regen run.
83
84 Hrm, is signing verification done for tree items?
85
86 | > | You haven't stated how the 'package manager' will trigger the
87 | > | user's reader of choice for these targets. Should also extend
88 | > | this to allow a way to disable any news notices, lest someone's
89 | > | cronjob get hung displaying news (feature or not, it's needed).
90 | >
91 | > The same way the package manager handles updating config files: it
92 | > won't. It'll just tell the user that some news items need reading.
93 |
94 | And you'll personally handle all of the bug spam from feature
95 | requests that --ask trigger $news_reader?
96 |
97 | It's a logical extension, thus people will ask for it.
98
99 What does emerge --ask do currently for config files?
100
101 | We expire updates? If so, someone might want to look at the updates
102 | from 3 years back...
103
104 Yes. Once a year, Seemant shows up and says "hey, does anyone ever
105 expire really really old updates entries?".
106
107 | > | > There is an existing automated tool [#forums-glsa]_ for posting
108 | > | > GLSAs to the forums. A similar tool can be used for these news
109 | > | > items.
110 | > |
111 | > | Pawned it off on someone, or something you'll be doing?
112 | >
113 | > Hopefully the former. I have it on reasonably good authority that it
114 | > won't take more than half an hour if I end up having to do it
115 | > though...
116 |
117 | Get cracking then (regardless if it's pawning or coding).
118
119 Eh, that one can be left until the last minute.
122 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
123 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
124 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm