From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] man fails under tcsh
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 16:32:31
1 On Fri, 2001-09-28 at 14:24, Crowfoot, Norman (CCI-Atlanta) wrote:
2 > Man fails under csh/tcsh due to lack of PAGER setting in /etc/man.conf
3 >
4 > Standard man ebuild forces a pre-built /etc/man.conf with PAGER left
5 > blank. This confuses csh/tcsh when parsing the internally-constructed
6 > shell command, since an null string appears after the last "|" in the
7 > command string.
8 >
9 > The man problem under tcsh is the lack of definition for a "pager." The
10 > answer is to define the PAGER option in /etc/man.conf. And the reason
11 > the PAGER line is not filled in is the /etc/man.conf is overwritten by
12 > /usr/portage/sys-apps/man/files/man.conf at the last minute during the
13 > process! In other words, all the world of building the conf in man is
14 > blown out by the ebuild .... The fix? Comment out the install:
15 >
16 > #doins ${FILESDIR}/man.conf
17 >
18 > and use the man.conf file that man creates.
19 >
20 > Other option is to edit man.conf to
21 >
22 > PAGER less -is
23 >
24 > or equivalent.
27 > -----Original Message-----
28 > From: Tom von Schwerdtner [mailto:tvon@×××××.org]
29 > Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 2:59 PM
30 > To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
31 > Cc: Crowfoot, Norman (CCI-Atlanta)
32 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] man fails under tcsh
35 > > man breaks when the login shell is csh or tcsh . . .
36 >
37 > can you be more specific? man works fine for me.
38 >
39 > Also, there seems to be a tcsh bug in which it tries to parse LS_COLORS
40 > or
41 > somethign related. Attempting to login to bash and then invoke tcsh
42 > fails
43 > with "unknown colorls variable: 'do'" (off the top of my head). I dont
44 > know much about this, but whomever is maintaining the tcsh ebuild may
45 > want
46 > to look deeper.
47 >
48 > -T
49 >
50 Hi
51
52 What Gentoo Linux are you running? PAGER is a env setting that each
53 user should customize, but in RC6, it is set in /etc/env.d/00basic.
56 Greetings,
57 MS
60 Martin Schlemmer
61 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Developer
62 Cape Town, South Africa