From: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [gentoo-ppc] bootstrap/portage problem
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 05:22:29
1 On Saturday 06 April 2002 00:56, you wrote:
2 > trying to run the bootstrap.sh script
3 >
4 > > untested:
5 > >
6 > > CHOST="powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu"
7 > > CFLAGS="-mcpu=powerpc -O2 -pipe"
8 > > CXXFLAGS="-mcpu=powerpc -O2 -pipe"
9 > >
10 > > SYNC="cvs://:pserver:cvs@×××××××.dk:/pack/anoncvs"
11 > > #Password for the cvs server is 'cvs'
12 > >
13 > > #SYNC="rsync://sunsite.dk/gentooppc/gentooppc/portage" Rsync should be
14 > > available soon, for now just use cvs
15 >
16 > i used the above settings in addition to using the
17 > mirrors.sunsite.dk/gentoo mirror for the GENTOO_MIRRORS variable. i've got
18 > a G3 400MHz Powerbook.
19 >
20 > portage merges, then it proceeds to emerge
21 > sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.4.17-r5, downloads
22 > http://mirrors.sunsite.dk/gentoo/distfiles/linux-2.4.17.tar.bz2 and
23 > http://mirrors.sunsite.dk/gentoo/distfiles/linux-2.4.17-r5.patch.bz2 to the
24 > proper distfiles directory, but when it tries to unpack
25 > linux-2.4.17.tar.bz2, portage hangs. if i interrupt the process, i get:
26 >
27 > !!! Portage interrupted by SIGINT; exiting.
28 >
29 > *** Unpack Aborted ***
30 >
31 > if i restart the process, portage still hangs.
32 >
33 > is the portage-1.8.12 functional? are my make.conf settings wrong?
34 > where could the problem be? thanks...
35
36 Something is apparently wrong. First of all bootstrap (or a script started by
37 bootstrap) shouldn't merge that x86 kernel but a ppc kernel (2.4.19). But
38 apparently the problem is not happening using the kernel but unpacking it?!?,
39 could you test if you're able to download the kernel yourself and unpack it
40 using the system you've got now? Maybe the kernel you downloaded is not
41 correclty downloaded...
42
43 I've looked into the problem and fixed some things in portage. An x86 kernel
44 shouldn't definately be merged again using the new portage. I've temporarily
45 masked all kernels that aren't ppc patched. I think the best thing you could
46 do is start installing gentooppc again and look if your problems are still
47 there.
48
49 I've also created two gentoo-ppc mailinglists for those interested in
50 gentoo-ppc:
51
52 gentooppc-dev@×××××××.dk
53 gentooppc-announce@×××××××.dk
54
55 to subscribe email: gentooppc-dev-subscribe@×××××××.dk and/or
56 gentooppc-announce@×××××××.dk
57
58 Instructions can be obtained from gentooppc-dev-help@×××××××.dk or
59 gentooppc-announce-help@×××××××.dk
60
61 We're working on rsync access to gentooppc.sunsite.dk. (To be exact: I'm just
62 waiting for sunsite.dk support to install a simple (5 line) script into their
63 crontab. I don't know what exactly they are doing that takes so long... must
64 be they are figuring out how to use cron.)
65
66 Updated build/iso (with cvs merged in and updated locations) are available
67 for download from http://gentooppc.sunsite.dk
70 Pieter Van den Abeele
71 pvdabeel@××××××.be