From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] [RFC] New metastructure proposal
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:51:38
1 On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 09:06 -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > These are the things that I see argued about often; do you try to add
3 > tons of packages? Do you try to remove packages? Do you try to keep a
4 > balance. Why does the tree contain unmaintained and broken packages?
5 > Why does no (developer) care? Do you cater to users? Do you cater to
6 > ourselves? Do you target the desktop? Do you target embedded users? Do
7 > you target servers? Do you target 'release early, release often' or do
8 > you target stability and QA?
9
10 You're looking at everything too narrow-minded. Do we cater to users?
11 Developers? The answer is yes to both. Do we cater to desktop?
12 Embedded? Again, the answer is both. Trying to push Gentoo into some
13 single-minded narrowly-focused vision is ignoring many of the facets of
14 Gentoo that make it unique. We must play to our strengths. We are
15 quite diversified and I think that is one of our strengths. Trying to
16 force everyone into some cookie-cutter mold is not in our best long-term
17 or even short-term interest.
18
19 > I don't recall hearing about lots of anything. I don't claim to having
20 > read every meeting log however.
21
22 I hope you also don't claim to have read every conversation any Council
23 member has ever had with another. Not all ideas are fleshed out at the
24 meetings. Some are simply not mature enough to be brought up to anyone.
25 Some, we decide, are simply crap, or unusable. I know I've come up with
26 plenty of things that once discussed with someone else, turn out to be
27 complete crap. ;]
30 Chris Gianelloni
31 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
32 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
33 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
34 Gentoo Foundation