From: Zack Gilburd <klasikahl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New feature proposition (make.conf)
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 11:06:55
1 On Sunday 17 August 2003 02:45 am, Philippe Lafoucrière wrote:
2 > I don't think it needs a new GLEP :
3 >
4 > I'd like to see a new feature in the current list : mrproper.
5 > This feature would allow portage to remove downloaded files in
6 > /usr/portage/distfiles, and clean after emerging the /var/tmp/portage.
7 >
8 > This would help users to save some disk space on little configurations.
11 One of the problems that plagues Gentoo is that the distro's growth is leading
12 to an insane amount of distfiles downloads (and even excessive downloads)
13 along with excessive rsync'ing. Automatic removal of distfiles would
14 substancially increase the amount of distfiles downloads due to the fact that
15 packages often have revisions made to them and revisions mean that the
16 software has to be recompiled -- thus the distfile would have to be
17 redownloaded of already removed.
18
19 Until the general downloading (and rsyncing) etiqutte improves, I don't see
20 how this could be The Right Thing(TM) to do.
23 Zack Gilburd
24 http://tehunlose.com
25 GnuPG Key ID: A79A45668240AB6C