From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] C++ herd proposal
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:46:26
1 On Saturday 17 September 2005 22:24, Mark Loeser wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Saturday 17 September 2005 02:22 pm, Mark Loeser wrote:
4 > >>The reason for me adding that bit is the metadata from dev-cpp:
5 > >>
6 > >>The dev-cpp category contains libraries and utilities relevant to the
7 > >>c++ programming language.
8 > >>
9 > >>Now to me, that means I can find *all* relevant C++ stuff here. If
10 > >> we don't want that to be the case, maybe we should say
11 > >> "miscellaneous", but why should something be in dev-libs, as
12 > >> compared with dev-cpp? net-libs, I could understand, and dev-games,
13 > >> as those could be argued to have a direct relation.
14 > >
15 > > for generic C++ packages (STLport/boost for example), i can see them
16 > > being in the dev-cpp category ... but for packages which have
17 > > specific uses already and arent in 'generic' categories, i dont think
18 > > they should be moved
19 >
20 > I agree with this, but I think dev-libs and dev-util are generic
21 > categories, and moving these packages from there would help users in
22 > finding what they need. I think this is what you are saying atleast :)
23
24 I think that dev-util is a very specific category containing development
25 utilities of some sort. There might be some misclassifications in them,
26 but from a user perspective I don't really care about the language
27 anything is written in. As C++ is so widespread I don't think that
28 anything but app-misc or the like should be moved into a dev-cpp
29 category.
30
31 Paul
34 Paul de Vrieze