From: Dhruba Bandopadhyay <dhruba@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] app-cvs
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:43:59
1 Tal Peer wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > While discussing the state of the php-cvs package on #gentoo_dev, lu_zero
5 > suggested that we open a new category 'app-cvs' and move all -cvs packages
6 > there. That way we don't litter all the categories with -cvs ebuilds that
7 > most of users don't need/want.
8 >
9 > Comments?
10
11 This is a difficult one.
12
13 This is more the exception rather than the rule. CVS is a unique
14 minority category where the packages require greater maintenance from
15 both the user and dev perspective and generally suffer more problems or
16 issues of some sort.
17
18 A separate category would make listing all cvs packages easier and may
19 (or may not) also make maintenance easier. The directory is making not
20 only a statement of different retrieval method but also a different
21 genre of packages in terms of cutting edge application versions.
22
23 Intuitively speaking, I'd find it quite natural to look in app-cvs for
24 gaim-cvs just like net-im.
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list