From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Global USE flag: minimal?
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:48:26
1 On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 05:59, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 14:36 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > > Probably worth making it a global USE flag. How's the following sound
6 > > for a description?
7 > >
8 > > minimal - Install a very minimal build (disables, for example, plugins,
9 > > fonts, non-critical features)
10 >
11 > Sounds like a good idea to me.
12 >
13 > > For anyone else planning to use this flag, please only use it if it's a
14 > > realllllly minimal build. The original package to use this was vim, and
15 > > vim's minimal build turns off syntax highlighting, visual mode, multiple
16 > > window support, proper terminal support, multibyte characters,
17 > > completion, diff support, folding and a whole load of other stuff that I
18 > > can't think of off the top of my head.
19 >
20 > I am planning on adding the minimal USE flag to the upcoming inclusion
21 > of net-wireless/wireless-tools-28_pre2 to build a minimal footprint
22 > version of the tools (new feature as of 28.pre2).
23
24 *sigh*
25 Please do not use minimal for wireless-tools for 'multicall'
26 functionality. This type of functionality should use the multicall use
27 flag as dropbear does and more programs in the tree will over time.
30 > Sincerely,
31 > Brix
32 --
33 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
34 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded) Developer