From: Sven Vermeulen <sven.vermeulen@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About suggesting to create a separate partition for portage tree in handbook
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:05:47
1 On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 07:49:00PM +0200, Pacho Ramos wrote:
2 > I am a bit surprised handbook still doesn't suggest people to create a
3 > separate partition for /usr/portage tree. I remember my first Gentoo
4 > systems had it inside / and that lead to a lot of fragmentation, much
5 > slower "emerge -pvuDN world" (I benchmarked it when I changed my
6 > partitioning scheme to put /usr/portage) separate and a lot of disk
7 > space lost (I remember portage tree reached around 3 GB of disk space
8 > while I am now running with 300MB)
9 >
10 > Could handbook suggest people to put /usr/portage on a different
11 > partition then? The only doubt I have is what filesystem would be better
12 > for it, in my case I am using reiserfs with tail enabled, but maybe you
13 > have other different setups.
14
15 To be honest, I don't think it is wise to describe it in the Gentoo Handbook
16 just yet. I don't mind having it documented elsewhere, but the separate
17 partition is not mandatory for getting Gentoo up and running. The
18 instructions currently also just give an example partition layout and tell
19 users that different layouts are perfectly possible.
20
21 We need to take into consideration what is needed (must) for a Gentoo
22 installation, what is seriously recommended (should), what is nice to have
23 (could), etc. And for me, having a separate /usr/portage is a nice-to-have
24 imo.
25
26 Wkr,
27 Sven Vermeulen