From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Gentoo's problems
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 00:41:11
1 Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 >> My understanding was that the portage team can't move forward with a
3 >> new version until EAPI0 is done?
4 > They can't move forward with changes that break ebuild compatibility
5 > until EAPI-0 is documented and EAPI-1 can start to be defined. That's
6 > not to say that user-side changes which don't affect the ebuild
7 > interface can't happen.
8 Ah ok.
9 Well, given the state of the portage code, I doubt it's worth starting anew
10 until EAPI0 is done, since clearly the team have to do maintenance and
11 improvements in the meanwhile, as so many ppl depend on portage working
12 right.
13 Also, I thought one of the main benefits was making things easier for ebuild
14 devs? Ciaran was himself disdainful of UI improvements.
18 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list