From: Gontran <gontran@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] XFree86 3.3.6
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 12:48:03
1 * Teardrop Sky (sky@×××××××××××××××××××××××××××.com) wrote:
2 > [ XF 4.x not always usable ]
3 >
4 > but i want to use XF 3.3.6, and how can i use it (installing from a
5 > source or binary whatever works) and then after installing it, letting
6 > the portage tree know that i *do* have X installed (so it will not
7 > emerge XF4 because it might be a requirement for some other portage
8 > package)
9
10 I hear this. I run 3.3.6, in order to get maximum performance out of my
11 hardware setup. I did the dirty deed by hand, _after_ disapointment with
12 XF 4.1, overwriting any binaries. So portage sees the X requirement is
13 met.
14
15 I've really been meaning to ebuild the process up. ( Really trying to
16 find the time) It's two stepped XF336 source and Xpm lib, then there are
17 the xcalc et. al extras to do...
18
19 Hardest part was finding Xpm lib:
20 http://koala.ilog.fr/ftp/pub/xpm/
21
22 No problems since, cept forgot to build xcalc, doh!
23
24 cheers,
25 Gontran