From: Bernd Steinhauser <gentoo@×××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Old ebuilds in bugzilla
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 15:55:25
1 Hi,
2
3 I was searching a bit through bugzilla for some ebuilds for programs,
4 that are not yet in portage and I found, there are a lot of programs
5 hanging in buzilla, because no one did take them for maintenance.
6
7 Now some of them are quite old (no comments/activity for 2 years) and I
8 tried some of them and found out, that sometimes they don't even
9 compile anymore.
10 Now I was wondering, if there is a standard procedure for things
11 like this; I searched the mailing list for sth. like this, but didn't find
12 anything there.
13 So my question is, is there some kind of standard procedure for old
14 ebuilds that lay around bugzilla, and if not, maybe there should be one?
15
16 I was thinking about something like this:
17 - Categorize ebuild requests, so one category should contain the programs,
18 that aren't developed anymore, one category those, that are still developed,
19 but won't work with a current toolchain/system, and those programs, that
20 will still work with current systems.
21 - Add them to some kind of tracker, so some users that are up to it can try
22 to fix them, and report that, and if it not fixable, resolve the bugs as
23 wontfix.
24 - Maybe make use of the vote system, so bugs with ebuilds, that are
25 quite old
26 and don't have votes, will be closed after something like 2 years with no
27 activity (but that would include to tell users, that they have to vote).
28
29 Maybe there are better ways handling this.
30 But I think, there is at least a problem with the number of "dead" ebuilds
31 in bugzilla, because I think, that at least those, that will still work
32 should be
33 picked out.
34
35 Bernd