From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: important fstab update
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 14:42:51
1 On 27/10/16 09:54 PM, Francesco Riosa wrote:
2 > 2016-10-28 3:32 GMT+02:00 Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o
3 > <mailto:axs@g.o>>:
4 >
5 > On 27/10/16 09:23 PM, Gregory Woodbury wrote:
6 > > Out of curiosity, why do folks say that the use of LABEL=<name> is not
7 > > good? I realize that <name>s are not required when doing a mkfs, but
8 > > if the admin does so reliably and wants to use LABEL= thereafter, why should
9 > > it be "deprecated"?
10 >
11 > I don't think anyone said that the LABEL= syntax is bad; quite the
12 > opposite -- WilliamH wants everyone using /dev/disk/by-label/<name>
13 > paths in fstab to instead use LABEL=<name> , to avoid issues if udev
14 > doesn't create the symlinks before localmount tries to use them.
17 > Indeed nobody ever said "deprecated" some people (/me too) don't like
18 > to use labels and prefer UUIDs instead.
19 > - in some situations -
20 > To complete the statement labels are very good with fleets of servers
21 > with predefined and consistent disk layouts, or for some people desktop.
22 > When it come to a small number of server with different layouts they
23 > are equivalent in functionality but need managing and memory, when you
24 > substitute disk for example, simply not worth it.
25 >
26 > Best,
27 > Francesco
30 UUID is the same situation in this case -- in fstab you can do it by
31 UUID=<uuid> or you can do it by /dev/disk/by-uuid/<uuid>. The latter
32 form depends on udev finishing up and would have the same issue.
33
34 The identifier itself that you use for the partition doesn't need to
35 change at all, its just the means with which you use this identifier
36 that WilliamH is recommending you change.