From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecate EAPIs 1 and 2?
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 15:20:38
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 31-12-2010 10:02, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
5 > Hi,
6 >
7 > after approval of EAPI 4, there are now 5 different EAPIs available,
8 > and it's hard to remember what features are offered by which EAPI.
9 >
10 > So maybe it's about time that we deprecate EAPIs 0 and 1 for new
11 > ebuilds. As a first step, a warning could be added to repoman that
12 > would be triggered whenever a new ebuild with an EAPI less than 2 is
13 > committed.
14
15 I agree that having too many EAPI versions around can only lead to
16 confusion. Furthermore, it can require extra work from developers to
17 ensure compatibility for ebuilds and more importantly eclasses.
18 Instead of deprecating EAPIs 0 and 1, I'd suggest we deprecate EAPIs 1
19 and 2, though. As others have recalled, we'll have to maintain EAPI 0
20 around indefinitely, and EAPI 3 includes all the features in EAPIs 1 and
21 2. This way we can leave the system set packages alone.
22
23 > At a later time, the warning could be changed to an error. When most
24 > of the tree has been updated to EAPI 2 or newer, we could also think
25 > about actively converting the remaining ebuilds. (Currently this
26 > doesn't look feasible though, as about half of the tree is still at
27 > EAPI=0. [1])
28
29 Sounds a good idea (for EAPIs 1 and 2).
30
31 > Opinions?
32 >
33 > Ulrich
34 >
35 > [1] <http://blogs.gentoo.org/alexxy/2010/11/06/some-interesting-stats-about-gentoo-portage-tree/>
38 One way we could drop EAPI 0 would be if we do a major review of tree
39 and repo formats to improve upgrade paths, which would however likely
40 require breaking backwards compatibility at such point.
41 I believe such a change would only be acceptable, if we would pack
42 enough features and safety measures that it would ensure another break
43 would not need to be done for a long time.
44
45 - --
46 Regards,
47
48 Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
49 Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / KDE / Elections / RelEng