From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dirt: To shove under the rug or not shove under the rug? (aka another round of USE_EXPAND)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:59:54
1 On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 18:23:25 +0900
2 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Bug 23826: Give more visibility to ebuilds variables (ALSA_CARDS,
5 > etc.)
6
7 Just to make it clear if it wasn't: although some comments made
8 it derive toward USE_EXPANDed vars, the above bug was at the
9 begining about advertising any kind of unusual vars that influence
10 ebuilds. Whether they are USE_EXPANDed or not is an internal
11 technical detail that the user should not really care about. I
12 don't even know whether ALSA_CARDS is USE_EXPANDed for instance (at
13 least, the alsa-driver ebuild doesn't use it as such), but what
14 matters to me is that i know i have to list sound drivers for my
15 system there. As for LIRC_OPTS, i'm sure it is not USE_EXPANDed,
16 but still it lacks documentation for people who don't read the
17 ebuilds before emerging them.
18
19 So i don't think this bug is really relevant in this discussion.
20 It has more to do with the idea (which was in the air at some
21 point iirc) of whitelisting vars that should be allowed to enter the
22 ebuild environment, and the possibility for ebuilds to declare some
23 addition to the standard whitelist.
26 TGL.
27 --
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list