From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please consider removing use.stable.mask and package.use.stable.mask
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 05:23:39
1 On 15 November 2013 17:56, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
2 > After using it for a month, he's now convinced that
3 > Gentoo is clearly the most difficult to use.
4 >
5 > I'm inclined to agree,
8 I'd have to disagree there slightly, arch is more easy to use if you
9 stick to the core set, the binary packages ... as is debian.
10
11 But if you verge outside that set, arch quickly becomes a headache,
12 AUR may have lots of contribution, but its nowhere near the quality we
13 have of even some of our worse quality overlays, and the arch
14 toolchain lacks lots of features ebuild authors have come to rely on.
15
16 This means if you use arch's equivalent of our overlays, you'll spend
17 much time fixing up broken syntax in AUR packages.
18
19 I mean, sure, its "simpler", but at the same time, it does so by
20 simply cauterizing out the extra complexity, making it impossible for
21 end users to even opt for the complex or different behaviours, by
22 choosing one for them, and not informing them at all of that choice.
23
24 So that argument mostly boils down to "useflags add complexity for
25 people who aren't used to them, or aren't interested in them".
28 Kent