From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ebuilds for packages without a homepage?
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 20:26:20
1 On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 08:57:59PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:51:26 -0500 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | portage substitutes "" when metadata keys are unset during depends
5 > | export. Seems kind of pointless requiring an empty var
6 > | <snip>
7 > | to do the check
8 > | would require mangling ebuild.sh also, which I think is kind of daft.
9 >
10 > Hrm. KEYWORDS.missing, LICENSE.missing, DESCRIPTION.missing and
11 > SLOT.missing are listed in 'man repoman'.
12
13 Re-read the chunks of my original email above.
14
15 The suggestion is requiring
16
17 HOMEPAGE=''
18
19 in ebuilds, which is daft due to the fact that ebuild.sh does not
20 discern between an unset and empty var for exporting. All stable
21 portage (python side) sees is empty, no special flagging of unset.
22
23 The repoman checks I commented on, due to ebuild.sh not discerning
24 between an unset env var and an empty one, are testing to see if it's
25 empty not unset/missing. It's pointless requiring the var to be set
26 empty in the ebuild because portage (by extension repoman) doesn't
27 know the difference between unset and empty.
28
29 Making it aware of the difference is a bit daft also imo; a package
30 that lacks a homepage I tend to think should be flagged as a warning,
31 regardless if the author set the HOMEPAGE var or not.
32 ~harring