From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Installing systemd units with gx86 packages
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 21:55:58
1 On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 4:35 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 09:36:30AM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >> Fellow devs,
4 >>
5 >> I've started working on bringing systemd to Gentoo [1] lately,
6 >> and I think it is important to raise the aspect of systemd unit
7 >> inclusion in various packages in gx86 ASAP.
8 >>
9 >> The number of packages coming with systemd units is growing rapidly
10 >> recently, and that especially applies to freedesktop packages.
11 >> One side effect of that is that these packages treat systemd
12 >> as an automagic dependency, installing systemd units whenever its
13 >> pkgconfig file is installed. I already opened two bugs on that [2,3]
14 >> but there would be much more...
15 >
16 > I think the better way to handle this will be to patch the build systems
17 > to not make this an automagic dependency and send those patches
18 > upstream.
19 >
20 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/automagic.xml
21 >
22 > I'm not a member of qa, but I agree with this position on automagic
23 > dependencies.
24
25 I'm speaking as a simple user, but I don't think the systemd unit
26 files qualify as automagic dependencies as described by the QA
27 document. In the first place, as Michael pointed out, we can disable
28 them with --without-systemdsystemunitdir, so there is no magic at all.
29 In the second place, the usual Gentoo way of enabling OpenRC services
30 is to *add* init.d scripts in the ebuild, and this is completely
31 orthogonal to a package installing a systemd unit file (the presence
32 of the later does not matter to OpenRC at all). And finally, the idea
33 of systemd is to be a completely distro-agnostic init system, without
34 the multiple failures of SysV, and without the one-company-rule of
35 Upstart; this seems to be actually working, hence a lot of downstream
36 packages are willing (and eager) to ship systemd unit files. The init
37 scripts belong to the packages, they know best how the
38 service/whatever needs to be run.
39
40 I'm using Gentoo+systemd since a couple of months, and it works
41 incredible well. And I really like the idea of freeing the rather
42 precious Gentoo-developers time off of writing init scripts.
43
44 Just my 0.02 ${CURRENCY/100}.
47 > William
50 Canek Peláez Valdés