From: Evan Powers <powers.161@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: make opaque list partially translucent?
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 19:57:09
1 Oops, really have to watch that, sent it to Kurt rather than the list....
2
3 On Wednesday 23 April 2003 08:28 am, Kurt Lieber wrote:
4 > This is already being done via the GWN. Some of the stories that have been
5 > pulled *directly* from -core conversations:
6
7 I agree with you completely about the need for privacy in the internal list,
8 to avoid politics leaking out.
9
10 But I think I can provide a counter example to the list of stories you
11 mentioned: the reorganization of ebuild-maintainership into teams, and the
12 desire to fix the stagnant-bugzilla problem.
13
14 My point is that people who follow gentoo-dev generally aren't surprised by
15 what they read in GWN. But I, personally, have seemed to notice a pattern on
16 -dev and other lists:
17
18 1) A user posts something
19 2) People start replying and a discussion takes off
20 3) A developer shows up and says the dev team is already talking about this,
21 but usually doesn't mention specifics
22 [4) the next GWN issue mentions the subject]
23
24 The -core list is the only plausible thing we, from the outside, see to blame.
25
26 > Most of the stuff on -core is, well, boring. There's a lot of stuff that
27 > belongs on -dev -- as others have said, we're working on fixing that.
28
29 If I were a developer, I'd want to field my idea with a smaller group first,
30 meaning the -core list. But my impression is that once the -core list starts
31 talking about something, it doesn't get moved to the -dev list. Which is why
32 I proposed a small group of people (non-devs) assigned the task of relaying
33 such things to -dev.
34
35 Do any of the GWN writers actually have access to the -core list? Seemant
36 seemed to say they didn't in his "To the unhappy folks" post, though he did
37 say you often voluntarily relay stuff (thanks, btw). I just think that
38 relationship should be formalized somehow. Pull from our side, rather than
39 push from yours.
40
41 Evan
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list