From: Ian Phillips <ianp@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Mozilla "patch" for flash/linux/GCC3.1
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 03:54:35
1 Hmmm, maybe the correct ebuild for this would be GCC3.1, then it's available to
2 any other app that needs it.
3
4 This leaves us the problem of how to alter other apps to preload this patch.
5 Could we make it a system wide environment setting? Would this break anything if
6 all programs preloaded this lib?
7
8 That's a bad solution though. But the other option would be to patch every
9 broken ebuild (admittedly, at present the only one I know of is Flash).
10
11 Here's my proposal then:
12
13 1. Patch GCC3.1 to build the shared library. This makes it available for any app
14 that needs it. At the moment we only know about Flash, but it could in theory
15 be anything that we install as a binary from a commercial vendor.
16 2. Patch Flash to check for a GCC3.1 based system. If found patch the mozilla
17 start script to "export LD_PRELOAD=${LD_PRELOAD}:/usr/lib/libgcchack.so"
18 3. Patch any other app the same way if and when they are found.
19
20 Then we can remove individual patches from apps when the vendors make GCC3.1
21 friendly releases.
22
23 Yours,
24 Ian.
27 #ifndef __COMMON_SENSE__ | Ian Phillips
28 #include <std_disclaimer> | TIBCO Software Inc.
29 #endif | www.tibco.com