From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] dev-python/cryptography to use rust, effectively killing alpha, hppa, ia64, m68k, s390
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 21:57:39
1 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > I'm seriously wondering why I'm wasting so much effort on open source.
3
4 Open source only ever works when taking responsibility for one's problems.
7 > I don't see a good way out of it.
8
9 I see a couple. Of course all require some effort.
10
11 One was already mentioned; move Gentoo package management from Python
12 to some compiled language. High effort but maximum independence/reward.
13
14 Another option, less effort and less reward, is to investigate how much
15 CPython portage in fact requires, and make that a special package in Gentoo.
16
17 This essentially means a special-purpose fork of CPython, only for running
18 portage. Obviously portage development must then be comfortable without
19 using the latest shiny Python language stuff that only future RustPython
20 will offer. I guess that's not a problem.
21
22 Yet another is a variant on the previous, but even less effort and
23 much less reward; freeze what language stuff is allowed in portage code
24 and always run portage with some chosen existing/later CPython version.
27 Like libressl and gtk2 this thread also converges on the common point in
28 my argumentation: it's not per se bad, and sometimes supremely wise, to
29 quit chasing the latest version, and rest on a known platform.
30
31 Coupled with independent efforts to place security-relevant parts in
32 isolated environments (see sandbox) - ongoing effort regardless of Python -
33 I don't see why portage couldn't depend on a CPython interpreter of its own,
34 some last version that works well and is then copied and renamed.
35
36 It seems like that would be rather straightforward.
37
38 It might also be a good thing to take portage out of the overall Gentoo
39 Python picture? I don't know here - this bit is just a guess.
42 > arrogant zealots who want to destroy everything in their path
43
44 LOL, priceless.
47 > The first big blocker we're going to hit is trustme [3] package that
48 > relies on cryptography API pretty heavily to generate TLS certs for
49 > testing.
50
51 For which testing? Could it be changed to generate certs differently?
52
53 CAs aren't magic. Attached is a basic script of mine.
56 //Peter

mkca.sh application/x-sh