From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: new developer Joshua Nichols (nichoj)
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:19:40
1 Petteri Räty posted <43839B31.2050005@g.o>, excerpted below, on
2 Wed, 23 Nov 2005 00:26:57 +0200:
3
4 > Jochen Maes wrote:
5 >> Hello all,
9 >> I'd appreciate a nice welcome and a descent slap on the butt when you
10 >> pass him...
11 >>
12 >> Joshua, welcome!
16 > http://tinyurl.com/n9qb
17 > I hope to see this list near hundred soon!
18
19 OK, this is a gripe of mine, so...
20
21 1) There's only the tinyurl, no indication at all of where it actually
22 points, or what the "list" is! Surely, a bit of a description might be
23 useful. Something like "(buglist of <whatever>)". (I'm composing this
24 having gone to the URL but still have no idea of what <whatever> is,
25 because there's no title and the URL is too long to easily figure out
26 what's being searched on.)
27
28 2) The URL actually pointed to is:
29 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&long_desc_type=substring&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=exact&email1=java%40gentoo.org&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailqa_contact2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&changedin=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=
30
31 Obviously that's waaayyyy... too long to be of much use, so a tinyurl is
32 appreciated. However, a lot of those query substrings are empty or the
33 default or otherwise unneeded. Trimming the cruft should result in a
34 far shorter URL that actually conveys a bit of information. With a URL of
35 this lenth, the easiest way to do that is to paste the URL into an editor
36 and trim from there. Trim a bit, then try the link to see if it still
37 works, then trim some more...
38
39 Here's what I came up with after a bit of trial and error. Note that the
40 original URL poster, knowing what he's after and thus knowing which fields
41 are likely to be relevant, could have done the same with rather less
42 trouble.
43
44 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=exact&email1=java%40gentoo.org
45
46 Still not short, so a tinyurl is still useful, but /far/ shorter than the
47 above, and it's actually possible to see what this one is looking for:
48
49 a) bugstatus=NEW/ASSIGNED/REOPENED
50
51 and
52
53 b) emailassigned_to=java@g.o (exact match).
54
55 OK, how much easier would it have been to just post this:
56
57 List of open bugs assigned to java@:
58 http://tinyurl.com/<whatever>
61 Note also that some don't like clicking on blind URLs, even with
62 descriptions. Thus, optionally:
63
64 List of open bugs assigned to java@:
65 http://tinyurl.com/<whatever> (points to)
66 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=exact&email1=java%40gentoo.org
67
68 That way, both those who don't want to trust a blind link, and those that
69 are reading the list on long-url munging clients, have a link to click.
70 Further, even if the long URL ends up munged, it's possible to see what it
71 is, and to reassemble it, if desired.
76 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
77 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
81 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list