From: Chip Parker <infowolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: lastrite: dev-cpp/libherdstat and app-portage/herdstat
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 13:45:01
1 On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 5:41 AM, Alin Năstac <mrness@g.o> wrote:
2 > Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
3 >>
4 >> "Michael Sterrett -Mr. Bones.-" <msterret@××××.com> writes:
7 >>>
8 >>> The tree's small enough that grep -r gives enough performance.
9 >>>
10 >>
11 >> Even better
12 >>
13 >> grep */*/metadata.xml
14 >>
15 >> the tree is not big enough that it exceeds the maximum arguments from
16 >> bash.
20 > According to my local copy, we have 12876 metadata.xml files.
21 > Something tells me that your command line will exceed the maximum command
22 > line length supported by any shell ;)
26 Although it'll be a bit slower than a direct grep: for m in `find
27 /usr/portage -name metadata.xml `; do grep -Rn foo $m;done