From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, robbat2@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 09:10:58
1 On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 07:59:47PM -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
3 >> The goal is to deprecate /bin, /lib, /sbin and /usr/sbin. My
4 >> understanding is that they want to move software that is installed in
5 >> /bin, /sbin and /usr/sbin to /usr/bin. Also, they want to move
6 >> everything from /lib to /usr/lib.
7 >
8 > I don't like this one bit. Things used to be simple with the "split" between
9 > /bin and /usr/bin (and its related directories), this isn't going to make it
10 > more simple.
11
12 Actually, I've always thought that the split between /usr/bin and /bin
13 was quite arbitrary. However, I would like to note that merging /bin
14 and /usr/bin would break some app combinations like bzip2+pbzip2, so
15 that problem also needs to be solved (via eselect perhaps).
16
17 Overall, this change "feels" wrong to me, but there's nothing
18 intrinsically wrong with what they're suggesting. OTOH, it's probably
19 just going to cause chaos and further divergence between distros for
20 little gain.
23 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
24
25 Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team