From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] mailwrapper
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 15:52:52
1 On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 10:30:06AM -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > > While we're in the area, can we also make the initial install not install
3 > > the ssmtp package witout giving the user a choice?
4 >
5 > There is a choice, of course, it's just not documented very well. The
6 > ssmtp package is not part of the system profile, it's brought in when a
7 > user emerges one of the cron packages, which all have a virtual/mta
8 > RDEPEND, without already having merged an mta. Perhaps in 10.b of the
9 > handbook we should have:
10 >
11 > <warn>
12 > Cron daemons report job output to the user by sending the user
13 > an e-mail. Consequently, the Gentoo cron packages have a mail
14 > transfer agent (MTA) as a run-time dependency. If you are going
17 > (<i>ssmtp</i>), then you might want to consider emerging your
18 > desired MTA before emerging a cron package.
19 > </warn>
20
21 I'd go farther than that. I'd add another section to the handbook,
22 discussing the fact that nearly all systems will have an MTA of some sort,
23 and recommending that one be selected and emerged - and noting that if they
24 will be installing a cron daemon, they MUST pick one and install it. If they
25 don't intend to use the system as a full-fledged mail sender, ssmtp will do
26 the trick, but if they do, they'll need to pick one of the full-featured
27 ones. I'd also suggest that the doc recommend one if the user has no
28 preference, and my recommendation for that would be Postfix, since it's
29 fairly easy and straightforward to configure. (sendmail is a major
30 nightmare, and I don't recommend anyone use anything that that litigious
31 bastard Bernstein has had anything to do with; I have no experience with
32 exim, though.)
33
34 > That said, if all MTAs had mailwrapper support then our users would be
35 > able to install their full-fledged MTA even after ssmtp was installed,
36 > and then all that would be required to switch would be to edit (or
37 > replace) /etc/mailer.conf. (Even so, I still think we should document
38 > the fact that cron pulls in an MTA, since it does seem to surprise so
39 > many people.)
40
41 Yes, mailwrapper would make this a lot simpler. Even with it in place,
42 though, I'd still recommend the separate section on MTA installation.
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list