From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: official games repository
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 13:05:49
1 Peter Stuge posted on Tue, 22 Oct 2013 05:19:01 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > Rich Freeman wrote:
4
5 >> [Peter Stuge posted...]
6 >>>
7 >>> Everything in the Gentoo project is per definition strictly
8 >>> developer-only. I suppose that it's a function of having the project
9 >>> centered around a foundation.
10 >>
11 >> I can't think of any reason that the Foundation would have anything to
12 >> do with who can and cannot participate in anything related to Gentoo.
13
14 Good catch. I was confused by that wording as well, but thought of
15 "foundation" in the sense of (physical) underlying superstructure as
16 opposed to (social/legal) organization, because "Gentoo Foundation" in
17 the social/legal sense, for those knowing about it at all, indeed doesn't
18 make sense here. But it's good to put an end to that speculation
19 directly, since otherwise it's likely spread further confusion in the
20 future.
21
22 > The reason I had in mind is indeed the all-or-nothing security model for
23 > the publications (ebuilds is what I had in mind, I should have written
24 > "Everything I know in the Gentoo project...", sorry about that!) where
25 > even Copyright seems to have to be assigned to the foundation.
26
27 That has actually been debated here from time to time, and the general
28 agreement seems to be that assigning copyright to the Gentoo Foundation
29 is recommended (for various reasons), but specifically *NOT* required, in
30 part because some gentoo devs (Greg KH was one who specifically stated
31 he'd probably have to resign from being a gentoo dev in that case, I'd
32 guess due to the work-for-hire clauses in his employment contract which
33 allow him to contribute to FLOSS projects but NOT to surrender copyright,
34 which as a work-for-hire, remains with his employer) would very likely be
35 unable to participate were that the case.
36
37 While there's also ethical arguments to be made on either side, the
38 practical effect of triggering the resignation of multiple gentoo devs
39 were copyright assignment forced, basically put an end to the discussion.
40
41 >> Gentoo projects have involved non-developers from time to time. The
42 >> documentation project even gives commit access to non-developers,
43 >
44 > Awesome! I'm really glad that I was wrong about that - but at the same
45 > time documentation tends to serve a bootstrapping function,
46 > and thus matter less over time.
47
48 [The actual reason I bothered replying as it's core to the debate at
49 hand.]
50
51 It's worth noting that one of the big reasons projects use overlays is to
52 allow non-devs more, in some cases basically full, access. As covered
53 below that's simply not practical in the main tree, but under the
54 relatively narrower confines and tighter direct supervision of a project
55 overlay, active project users very often work hand in hand with full
56 gentoo devs as effective co-equals in the project overlay. Of course
57 users do have to have a bit of history with the project before they gain
58 that level of trust, but once they get it, they may well get full access
59 to the overlay, with the only differences between what they can do and
60 what a full dev can do being that a dev can transfer to the main tree,
61 and of course also that if there ever /were/ a disagreement that got to
62 the point of "me or him", the dev would most likely win, but of course
63 everyone knows that so in practice it doesn't tend to get to that point.
64
65 However, project overlays are entirely under the control of that project,
66 which means it's up to them what the rules are. Projects such as kde
67 (the one I'm most familiar with in that regard, but there are others)
68 really depend quite heavily on the work of trusted users who really do a
69 lot of the actual grunt work in the overlay, while others are I believe
70 gentoo-dev-only.
71
72 So it ends up being a project decision. If the devs in the games project
73 aren't comfortable with user write access, their overlay, their rules,
74 and it won't happen. If they are, their overlay, their rules, and it
75 will.
76
77 Which is what this whole thread is about. Apparently the games project
78 devs aren't comfortable with user access, at least not enough to make the
79 existing user-controlled overlay a viable official project overlay, so if
80 they want an overlay, they will need to create a new one. Perhaps at
81 some point they'll /get/ comfortable with having trusted user access and
82 gamerlay might tighten up access a bit so they can merge, but at this
83 point, a new, seperate devs-only overlay seems to be what they have in
84 mind, and as they'll be making the decisions, that's very likely what
85 they'll get.
86
87 >> The way our current portage tree is set up basically forces us into an
88 >> all-or-nothing security model for commit access - we don't have layers
89 >> of integration testing to protect users from errors or abuses.
90 >>
91 >> Proxy maintainership is one way around this.
96 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman